Citizenship in Society
This new Merit Badge rolls out today (Monday, November 1) and becomes an Eagle requirement on July 1, 2022. Please view the video announcement below and then download the guidelines and requirements.
Internet Advancement System
Process ranks and awards for packs, troops, teams, crews, ships, and posts
Units can now submit advancement for unit youth members online using BSA’s Internet Advancement system. You will find this method to be easy, convenient, and accurate because you will enter the information yourself. The system is separate from Internet Rechartering, but uses a similar concept. Unit leaders can record awards, ranks, and merit badges directly to BSA’s official youth member records with the online system.
Use Internet Advancement for the following:
• Add ranks, merit badges, and awards
• Update information on existing advancements (excepting the Eagle Scout rank).
To use Internet Advancement:
1. Select your unit advancement processor. This person must have Internet connectivity and Microsoft Internet Explorer.
2. Obtain a unit ID code from the council.
3. Gather information for advancement, including merit badge applications and advancement records with dates.
4. Click “Internet Advancement” below on this page. Follow the instructions in Internet Advancement to process advancements and print an advancement report.
5. Have the appropriate people sign the printed unit advancement report and submit it to the council. Save a copy for your files. Units should submit monthly before the end of each month, or more often if needed.
6. In December, submit a report before the end of the month to update your unit and council statistics.
Talk to your Commissioners or District Advancement Chairman. Additionally, anyone who wants to learn more about Internet Advancement can review the Internet Advancement Help Information.
There is a Frequently Asked Questions link on the Internet Advancement site and these should be reviewed. If you encounter any issues in using the Internet Advancement site, please contact the National Service Desk at 1-972-580-2489 for assistance.
Click here for:
INTERNET ADVANCEMENT(requires Internet Explorer 5.5 or greater and must be in Compatibility Mode if using IE 10 or greater)
Internet Advancement Help Information
For Merit Badge Counselors
Effective July 12, 2021 all merit badge counselors who are not officially approved by their council to counsel a badge will have that badge removed from their approved list of badges to counsel in Scoutbook. If a merit badge counselor is connected to a Scout to counsel an affected badge that connection will be removed. The only changes to Scouts would be to drop the merit badge counselor connection for the affected badges. Scoutbook will not remove any MB progress approved by the affected merit badge counselors.
Merit Badge Counselors can check if the badge they are counseling in Scoutbook is approved by their council by going to My Dashboard, Administration, My Account, My Positions: their positions and if the badge has a blue checkmark it is approved; if the badge has a green checkmark it is not approved and you should contact your council to continue counseling that badge.
A merit badge counselor must annually renew their desire to be a counselor. The process below must be completed every year before Dec. 31.
To become a Merit Badge Counselor, fill out the counselor application, complete the adult registration, for leadership position #42, create a my.scouting account, and take youth protection training (print certificate). Once completed, please return documents to the Quivira Council Registrar.
Merit Badge Counselor is a non-unit/no-fee position. All applications will be processed by the council to be put on the council roster.
Eagle Scout Resources
- Eagle Scout Rank Application
- National Eagle Scout Association Membership Application
- Spirit of the Eagle Award Application
- Eagle Scout Service Project Workbook
- Quivira Council Eagle Scout Rank Advancement Guide
- Explanation of Eagle Character Reference Letter
- Eagle Sample Envelope
- Eagle Character Reference Letter Sample
- Virtual Board of Review Guidelines
For full details regarding the Eagle Scout Rank process please visit the Boy Scouts of America National website by clicking HERE.
Scouts are recognized and rewarded for each achievement, which helps them gain self-confidence. The steps in the advancement system help a Scout grow in self-reliance and in the ability to help others.
Awards Central is where the most up-to-date information about BSA-related awards may be found, including award applications and nomination forms.